The Holy Trinity church History dates back to the first quarter of the nineteenth century. It replaced the older eighteenth century thatched Faha chapel which stood in the present Mt Sion grounds between the present Barrack St entrance and the door of the monastery.
Some notable clergymen from parish history were Archbishop Walsh, the first Archbishop of Halifax (died 1858) and Bishop Foran Bishop of Waterford and Lismore (died 1855). In recent times Bishop Charles J Henderson served as Auxiliary Bishop of Southwark.
Blessed Edmund Ignatius Rice established the Monastery and school in the parish in 1802 (having already opened his first schools in New Street ). The Presentation Sisters came to Waterford in 1798 and in 1799 moved into their convent on Hennessy’s Road across from Convent Hill ( and later transferred to Slievekeale). The Mercy Sisters opened their convent and school in Military Road and Philip Street in 1906 and opened their novitiate in 1908. In 1863 the Little Sisters of the Poor established their home in Waterford.
Little Nellie of Holy God was baptised in the church in 1903. The original Parish of Ballybricken and Butlerstown was divided in 1972 into the parishes of Ballybricken, Holy Family, St Paul’s, Ballybeg and Butlerstown. Any historical information in relation to the church will be very welcome.